Sunday, August 1, 2010

Reese’s Lonely Adventure

So Monday and Tuesday I got to venture out on my own and before you ask, NO I did not get lost! Beckie, our boss, needed Molly’s help in the office to get caught up before our new Executive Director starts! She will have the road to herself the middle of August when I have to go back to Iowa for a wedding so this was my turn!







Nance Co. Fair

Monday I hit the road about noon and headed to the Nance County Fair in Fullerton, Nebraska! I took reliable I-80 to Hwy. 14 and tada, Fullerton! When I first got into town I saw the Casey’s we took a picture of earlier… it looked like a barn! Very cute! J We have discovered if our directions to a fairgrounds aren’t very good there is always a great alternative… follow a truck pulling a demo derby car! Works like a charm!

It was the first day of the fair and I got to help unload a volunteer’s van filled with exhibits! When I went back out to the Truck to get set up one of the 4-Hers asked what my name was and where I went to school. I introduced myself and explained I was with the 4-H Truck. I realized that I was an unfamiliar face helping out at a small county fair and the small town couldn’t figure out who I was! I love rural Nebraska!

For it being the first day of the fair there were lots of people around and I got to hang out a little bit with the 4-Hers in the food stand. It was a hot night but the shade from my tent made it bearable! I had a nice older woman about my grandma’s age and her brother keep me company so I didn’t get too sad without Molly!

After I packed up I hit the road to Farwell again to stay with my friend Mel! I got there about 10 p.m. and got to hang out with her family. The next day I had to go to Loup City for the Sherman County Fair but not till 4 p.m. Since I was only about half an hour from there I got to help out during the day!




The Rathman Farm

I actually felt like a farm girl again on Tuesday helping do chores in the morning, bottle feeding calves, watering the sheep, checking pastures around the Rathman Farm! After chores were done Mel, her younger brother Clark and I sorted out a bull from one of the pastures and loaded him up to go to the vet. Go figure I got covered in cow manure!

When we finished that undertaking we picked up the corral panels and then unloaded them in another pasture to work the next group of cow calf pairs! I forgot how heavy those bad boys are! I was a little sore on Wednesday!

After the best meal I’d had since I’d been home, we went out to work the cows and calves in the pasture where we set up the panels. I got to help get some of them through the chute but then I had to head back to the house. For some reason I needed a shower before I hit the Sherman County Fair!





Sherman Co. Fair

The livestock show was just wrapping up when I got to the Sherman County Fair in Loup City so I set up by the 4-H Exhibit Hall. I was right across from the VFW where the Chamber of Commerce put on a free BBQ. It was a perfect location with lots of foot traffic! The watermelon stand was a little TOO close to me though… I had four giant pieces in total! I was about floating! J BEST Watermelon Award Sherman County!

I also nominate Sherman County for the most generous county! It was the easiest fair to sell tickets, I would ask if they would like a ticket and they’d say “Sure!” Everyone was very supportive of the 4-H program and were very friendly. Channing also helped me sell tickets and she did a great job! Thanks for your help!

Once the bullriding started that night the crowd started to dwindle and Mel and her brother Austin helped me tear down and get loaded up! It was a long drive back to Lincoln alone that night! I was really glad I only had to endure two days without Molly! This is definitely not a job for one person, it would be a really lonely summer if it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment